Market Segmentation Strategies and Tactics
Why This is Important to You
Almost all wealth management firms engage in some type of client segmentation coupled with a corresponding marketing strategy. This is a time proven method for properly aligning resources, developing value propositions, platforms and offerings that appeal to and capture the opportunity associated with a particular group.
Typically we see wealth management institutions segment their clients solely based on net worth or income. It is our contention that firms exclusively using these criteria to segment targets miss substantial opportunity, particularly in the ability to create market dominance in a particular niche or with certain affinity groups.
The trends we see in America clearly indicate that people are moving from a segregation primarily based on ethnicity, race or religion to one that is based on affinity.
Success stories abound of wealth management firms who have built powerful brands in particular markets such as the legal and medical communities, not-for-profit organizations, various religious denominations, retiring government workers and divorcees.
In the New Normal, it is critical that firms go beyond positioning and differentiating themselves in their marketplace to a level of client advocacy, emotional power and brand dominance.
If you are not assessing your marketplace to identify and size the opportunities associated with prominent affinity groups, then you are very likely leaving considerable opportunity left untended and up for grabs by your competitors.
How We Work With You
We help you by identifying appropriate target markets and then developing a unique value proposition and brand that strongly resonates within those markets. We help you create affinity-based “communities” of clients and develop process to ensure continued razor focus on these communities and the ability to say no to those clients falling outside of the targets.
We provide research and insight into those emotional triggers clients of a particular affinity group respond to and ways in which to capture those clients and make them loyal advocates of your firm.
What This Means For You
- You enjoy faster results when using niche marketing and affinity segmentation than through traditional “all things to all people” approach
- You reap the financial and visceral benefits associated with increased productivity and efficiency as your team uses their time more valuably when focusing on a specific group or segment
- You realize higher margins when working with targeted affinity groups than through broad outreach
- You enjoy the rewards associated with growing assets under management and the corresponding revenues through increased client referrals and improved closing rates
- You position yourself and your firm as leaders in those microcosmic communities that make up the broader community you serve
- You possess the positive manifestations of bolstered confidence in knowing exactly who you serve and how to best serve them
- Your decisions of which parts of the community to invest in become much clearer allowing your community reinvestment programs to thrive.
Who Will Help You
Kane Carlton is a consortium of the best and brightest talent in the wealth management industry. This confederation of seasoned professionals combines decades of practical experience in highly specialized disciplines with a no-nonsense, innovative, results driven focus with a singular mission—to help you.
Thomas C. Kane, Founder and Managing Director
Peter van Aartrijk, Consulting Associate
Branding / Communications Expert
Learn more about Peter and how his 25 years of branding and communications experience can help you.
Kevin Jenne’, Consulting Associate and Director of Research
Why Kane Carlton
We help our wealth management clients make informed decisions by providing them with research, competitive intelligence, best practices and innovative, objective solutions designed to reduce costs, increase revenue and stay competitive. Yet, unlike pure consulting we pride ourselves on being on the field and in the game with you, focusing on implementing the work product we create.
We understand that the thin line separating a flourishing career from unemployment and a thriving franchise from a failed business is a combination of the decisions you make. So make your first decision the right decision—decide Kane Carlton.